Sunday, August 20, 2006

A Review Of A Show You've Already Seen

Since Emma arrived, our entertainment has consisted of trying to get her to laugh, taking walks, and watching DVD's mailed to us from Blockbuster. We signed up for a free month, and that's when we got sucked into watching the show "Lost". We'd never seen it before.

We just finished the first season. If you don't know anything about it, it's about a group of survivors from a plane that crashed on a deserted island. I would say it's a pretty good production for TV. Some parts are cheesy, but other parts are pretty suspenseful.

However, don't neccessarily go by my review - I'm not much of a TV drama person. I kept wanting the show to go in a Swiss Family Robinson direction - "Why don't they adapt to the jungle and make some really cool treehouses?" I wanted to see cars made out of trees and tortoise shells or something.

I did want to point out a couple observations...

While every show requires some suspension of disbelief, I don't think writers should be allowed to give a character amnesia. It just seems like too easy of a way out. In Lost, a major event happens to one of the characters off camera. When she returns, she somehow has amnesia so you don't find out what happened. Not a fan of the amnesia device.

Secondly, in imagining what would happen if a group of people got stranded on a strange deserted island, I was surprised how fast it became "Lord of the Flies". It seemed like a pretty pessimistic view of humanity - having just survived a traumatic plane crash, the characters are very quickly fighting each other, making factions, etc. Again, it might just be my Swiss Family Robinson expectations coming out, but wouldn't they want to cooperate to survive? Especially when the island has some freaky things out to get them already? Can't we all just get along?? Then again, I suppose if there was a show where everybody just got along, we'd never watch it.


By the way, please don't tell us what happened in Season 2!
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home