How To Change Holistically?
A couple weeks ago I went to an interesting training on how to do micro-enterprise development programs. My old work did a lot of this around the world, but it was good to learn more of the dynamics involved. Microenterprise programs give out very small loans and training to poor people in order to start or grow a small business. The idea is that you will enable the poor, who often don't have access to these kinds of financial services, to provide for themselves and their family.The training was specifically looking at Christians doing this as a means of holistic outreach. We were looking at whether it is possible to enable spiritual change through these programs, in addition to economic change? How can you make these programs holistic, addressing all areas of poverty? Can churches be involved in this kind of outreach?
What was interesting, is that research shows doing a holistic program will automatically mean certain financial costs are added to the cost of the loans program. Can you maintain a holistic vision when it automatically means a more expensive program than one without a spiritual component? There's always a tension wanting to pull it away to being merely a financial service.
Another thing that suprised me was the reasons why it would be difficult for churches to do this kind of thing. For example, should the church be in the role of a loan collector? This can set up a whole bunch of issues. What if someone defaults - are they going to avoid the other church members out of guilt? Will they still be welcomed into the community? Just handing out free money is not at all a good way to empower people - so could a church really collect on someone who's struggling to repay? Or should they forgive the loan?
Finally, there are ways to measure the financial impact of the program. Are people's lives improving? Can they afford basic food, shelter, education for their kids, etc? But how do you measure the spiritual impact? The tempting thing would be to go the legalism route and draw up a list of rules - how many church services are they attending now, etc? One group member made a good suggestion at this point. We had been talking about some test cases in societies with a caste system, where the various classes of people don't mix. So one measure can be, are people interacting across the normal cultural barriers? Is someone of a higher caste willing to eat with someone of a low caste?
I really liked this idea. It made me think, how do I measure spiritual transformation in other situations, and especially in myself? Is it how many times I perform some spiritual discipline (prayer, attending church, etc)? I don't think so. I have to look at how I am increasing in love for God and those around me. And my closest friends aren't even a good measure - a better measure is how I am growing in love for those not like me!
A lot of food for thought!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home