Saturday, May 12, 2007

Emma Turns One!


This week was a big milestone in our family--Emma's first birthday! She turned one year old on Thursday (May 10). I can't believe it's been a year since I lay in the hospital bed with this tiny newborn in my arms. Amazing.

Emma's special day ended up going fine, despite a mishap with the cake frosting which resulted in a major emotional breakdown for Emma's mother. I know that my frosting looking like cottage cheese really wasn't the end of the world, but it sure felt like it! Let's just say it was the "icing on the cake" for all the intercultural adjustment stuff simmering under the surface. And as one of the first holidays away from "home" (where is our home now?), I really wanted everything to be perfect. But I am working through all those issues, and feeling much better now. =) And thanks to Greg who ran to the store for more sugar, I was able to make a new batch of frosting and Emma had a birthday cake after all.

We didn't have any massive parties, but we did invite our friends/teammates over for a little celebration. They have two little girls that Emma loves to play with (well, she doesn't really play with them so much as follow them around and try to take the toys they're playing with). We played a few games, ate some cake, and Emma opened lots of fun presents. (Thanks to both grandmas who mailed birthday packages all the way from the good ol' USA).

Here's a few pictures of the birthday girl on her big day. And yes, she does love cake!




5 Comments:

At 2:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Emma! It's amazing how fast you are growing! You are so beautiful. We are all sending hugs and kisses from China.

Amy, I've been here almost 2 years and I still struggle to get things made correctly when I'm having to substitute half of the recipe with what we can find here. I, too, made a cake for a friend just yesterday, it tasted good but looked awful! Oh well... Love you friends, Christa

 
At 11:34 AM , Blogger Earle-girl said...

Do you guys have a "Mercator"? I hear that's the big new thing in Bosnia. =) Happy Birthday to YOU TWO as well! You made it through a year!

I thought of you, Amy when I was "home" in Reedley this last week. So excited you guys are getting settled in Croatia.

 
At 4:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness...Emma is PRECIOUS! I can't believe she's one already! I remember playing Settler's at our house with you guys just before she was born! I hope you guys are doing well. I hope to write soon. Blessings!

 
At 11:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Amy... How precious that God allowed you your first home-away-from-home meltdown over such a blessed celebration as your firstborn's first birthday! Isn't He good!!?! I'm glad it all worked out with the icing, by the way. Greg is a good man.

Happy Birthday, Emma!!

 
At 11:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. Happy Belated Mother's Day!!!!!!! (thanks for your sweet post on my blog. miss you!!!)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home