Friday, December 01, 2006

Friendship Over Ideology

I wanted to pass along the thought-provoking words below from Tihomir, a Croatian man who runs a wonderful reconciliation ministry in Croatia. This ministry brings together people from various ethnic groups who are traditionally in conflict, in order to look at reconciliation through the life of Christ. This is a very relevant topic for the countries of southeast Europe; and in fact is just as relevant for our own culture as well. It's a little long for the blog format, but I liked what he had to say so I'm repeating it all here:


Greater Love Has No One than This

Over the last few weeks public media in Croatia and Serbia has closely followed the announcement of two well known actors that they would soon restore their friendship that was severed fifteen years ago due to vocal differences over their understanding of the nature of war in Croatia in 1991. Boris Dvornik from Croatia and Bata Zivojinovic from Serbia, both leading regional movie and theatre legends who were close friends for many years before the war, decided to have their reconciliation public since their quarrel fifteen years ago was also public.

The upcoming reconciliation and renewal of friendship between the two public figures, in my view, deserves a hearty approval of anyone who is not addicted to ethnic tribalism so prevalent across the region formerly known as Yugoslavia. But what really caught my attention, as I watched an interview with Boris Dvornik on the Croatian Television one week ago, was Boris’ response to a provocative question: “If you had to choose between a friend or a country, what would you choose?” The Croatian actor responded: “a friend!”

His sobering response to a daring question made me think about a bold statement of Jesus of Nazareth in which he elevated the importance of friendship above all other relationships dictated or manipulated by the crowd, popular opinion or political fashion. He said: “Greater love has no one than this that he lay down his life for his friends” (John 15:13.NIV). Interestingly enough, I do not recall that Jesus ever called his followers to lay down their lives for a country, ethnicity, or structure that categorizes people on the basis of race, nation or religion; which does not mean that there are not times when such sacrifices are legitimately called upon. What it does mean, however, is that in the eyes of the Creator the integrity, sanctity and dignity of a human life enjoys a much higher priority than often misleading concepts of comradeship forged by the centuries of power struggle, tribal greed, political partisanship, and allegiances to various forms of mythological deceits and divisions.

Inspired by Jesus, who more powerfully than anyone else demonstrated through his death how far a friend would dare go for a friend, I cannot help but ask myself what would my response be to the question of the TV interviewer, in light of the fact that I am surrounded by an impressive international family of friends dispersed across the Balkan Region and beyond? Where would I stand in regard to my friends in Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Kosovo, Macedonia or USA should the years 1941, 1991, or 2001 repeat themselves? What would I do should a new situation arise whose agents would demand an undivided worship of their demons of ethnic, religious or any other ideological narcissism? Would I have the moral courage to keep the friendships within the international family of friends vibrant and alive in all its innocence and honesty despite the overwhelming circumstances, or would I succumb to the pressures to have it sacrificed on the altar of euphoric tribal or ideological arrogance and blindness?

By living and dying for his friends Jesus of Nazareth defamed every ethnic, religious and political tribalism not only of his days but of all times, declaring them idolatrous. Judaism and Samaritanism, as well as Phariseeism, Sadduceeism, Zealotism and other isms of his days, did not impress him at all. It was the wellbeing and closeness of his friends that mattered to Him the most. If He were to walk the Balkan roads today, as He did those of Judea two thousand years ago, his attitude would remain the same. His friends in Croatia, Serbia, Kosovo, Montenegro, Macedonia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Albania, Bulgaria and Romania would be the primary object of His affection. He would not be a flag bearer of any national, racial, or societal exclusiveness, nor would he let any ethnic group trademark his name. Indeed, if He were to walk the roads of our planet today, He would have intimate friends in Iraq, USA, Zimbabwe, Rwanda, Israel, Palestine, Australia, Tanzania, Norway and UK who would take up all his attention and time sooner than any international or geopolitical affair of the global power brokers.

As a follower of Jesus I have no other choice but to set my priorities right and in tune with those of Jesus. I am encouraged and reminded by Boris and Bata that the way of friendship is also Jesus’ way, despite all the cynicism that is coming their way from ethnic sectarians on all sides. As for me, regardless of how far will their reconciliation go, I want to share with all my friends across the Balkans and the world the message of my own heart: I love you and your friendship I will not trade for any national myth, ethnic arrogance, religious exclusiveness, ideological correctness, or political fashion of the moment.

Likewise friend, neither have you any other choice, should you call yourself a follower of Jesus of Nazareth, but to raise the banner of undiluted friendship high above any other banner that chooses and evaluates friends on the basis of racial, ethnic, religious or other divisive ideological pedigrees. More than once Jesus summoned his bewildered friends: “My command is this: ‘Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command.’” (John 15:13.14. NIV).

Tihomir Kukolja, November 27, 2006.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home